- Distance Learning - 18 months support included (anticipate 40 hours per module)
- Additional Work:
- Distance Learning
- Your Home / Workplace
- Candidates must be in a role that allows them to collect evidence that they meet the standards set-out.
We firmly believe the ‘Level 5 Diploma on OH&SP’ 3654-06 is the best route to Chartered membership of IOSH (CMIOSH) for experienced health and safety managers / officers / advisers. It is work-based and practical and relies on evidence from your job. A National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) allows candidates to learn, develop and practise the skills required for employment and / or career progression within the health and safety sector. Unlike traditional qualifications that rely on teaching and examinations, NVQs use performance on the job as a basis for assessment.
This qualification is aimed at health and safety practitioners who wish to achieve formal qualification in occupational safety and health management, for those wishing to progress a career in health and safety, and for those seeking Chartered Membership of IOSH. These NVQ Occupational Health and Safety Practice qualifications are for people holding an autonomous role in their organisation for managing health and safety policy and practice. They will report direct to or be part of the senior management team. They will recommend and implement changes relevant to their role. They will be aware of cost implications and budgetary control.
The Institution of Occupational Safety & Health (IOSH) accepts these qualifications for membership at Graduate level (GradIOSH) and upon completion of their Initial Professional Development (IPD) programme, candidates can achieve Chartered level membership (CMIOSH). The International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM) accept this qualification for full Member status (MIIRSM).
The Level 5 NVQ is made up of a number of different units of competence. Each unit describes the standards of a broad area of work that a competent person should be able to perform.
Each unit is broken down into a number of elements. Taken together the elements show what needs to be done to achieve the whole unit. Those undertaking NVQs are expected to upload their evidence onto a website called ‘Learning Assistant’. Appropriate advice, guidance and practical support with Learning Assistant will be made available to all NVQ candidates during a defined learning support period. All work submitted will be assessed on-line with electronic feedback provided afterwards. Advantages of this approach include; timely learning support and assessment of work, more secure storage and easier retrieval of evidence and reports, speedy access to advice and support.
There are 11 individual units that must be completed to obtain the overall qualification plus a further unit which must be completed from an elective group to gain IOSH Graduate membership:
Mandatory Units - candidates must achieve all mandatory units
- 402 Develop and implement effective communication systems for health and safety information
- 510 Promote a positive health and safety culture
- 511 Develop and maintain individual and organisational competence in health and safety matters
- 512 Control health and safety risks
- 513 Develop and implement proactive monitoring systems for health and safety
- 514 Develop and implement reactive monitoring systems for health and safety
- 515 Develop and implement health and safety emergency response systems and procedures
- 516 Develop and implement health and safety review systems
- 517 Develop and implement a health and safety audit
- 518 Behavioural safety in the workplace
- 610 Develop and implement the health and safety policy
Elective Units - candidates may choose to complete elective units but they are not required as part of the qualification
- 519 Influence improvements in health and safety practice
- 520 Develop, implement and review the organisations health and safety strategy
- 521 Contribute to health and safety legal actions
- 522 Manage contractors to ensure compliance with health and safety
- 523 Develop and implement the health and safety induction process
- 611 Professional development and ethics in health and safety management*
*Unit 611 must be completed to gain IOSH graduate membership recognition
|Click here to view the course fact sheet||Click here to view the getting started guide|
This is a distance learning course only, you can start the programme at any time.